[Mood Tip: A diet rich in blueberries reversed memory loss in rats at Tufts University Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging in Boston.]
This dessert is creamy and flavorful, yet derives a fraction of its calories from fat! It’s easy to make, too.
1/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
24 ounces fat-free cream cheese, room temperature
8 ounces low-fat cream cheese, room temperature
1 3/4 cups white sugar
3/4 cup fat-free half & half
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons lemon peel, fine grated
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups liquid egg substitute (equivalent of 6 eggs)
4 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
2/3 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon corn starch
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1) Spray the bottom and sides of a 9-inch diameter springform pan with 3-inch sides. Sprinkle graham crumbs in pan and tilt pan to spread evenly over bottom and sides, leaving extra crumbs on bottom.
2) Beat cream cheese and sugar with an electric beater until creamy and well-blended. Slowly add half & half, lemon juice, lemon peel, and vanilla and continue to beat. Add egg substitute until mixture is thoroughly blended and creamy. Pour into crumb-lined pan.
3) Place springform pan in large roasting pan. Pour enough water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of springform pan (no higher or water will bubble into cheesecake during baking). Bake cheesecake until firm, slightly golden, and sides crack, about 1 hour 25 minutes. Remove springform pan from water and refrigerate uncovered until cold, about 3 hours or overnight.
4) To prepare blueberry topping: Place blueberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a nonstick saucepan over medium heat and stir gently until sugar dissolves and juices form. Continue heating for 5 minutes. Remove 1/2 cup of juice, add corn starch, and stir until cornstarch is completely dissolved. Pour juice-cornstarch mixture into blueberries, and stir over high heat until mixture boils and thickens slightly. Remove from heat, cool completely, then refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until ready to serve cheesecake.
5) To serve cheesecake: Run knife around sides of cheesecake and remove springform pan sides. Top each slice with a generous helping of the blueberry sauce. Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Analysis per serving: 343 Calories;14 percent fat (5.24 grams); 2.47 grams saturated fat; 19 percent protein; 67 percent carbohydrate; 1.3 grams fiber.