Chicken braised, then simmered in a savory well-seasoned tomato sauce is a complete meal when served with Creamy Comfort-Food Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans with Toasted Slivered Almonds.
4 chicken breasts, boneless-skinless (approximately 1 pound total)
1/2 cup liquid egg substitute (equivalent of 2 whole eggs)
1/3 cup low-fat Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup shallots, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28-ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon each: dried basil, marjoram, and oregano
1/2 cup low-fat mozzarella cheese, grated
1) Clean and pat dry chicken breasts. Lay chicken breasts between wax paper, flatten to1-inch thick. (Use a rolling pin or mallet) Set aside.
2) In a medium bowl, beat egg substitute. Set aside.
3) Mix together Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs. Place on a flat plate.
4) Dip chicken in eggs, then into Parmesan cheese mixture.
5) In a Dutch oven or heavy skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts and cook until brown on each side, about 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken from skillet, keep warm.
6) In same skillet over medium-high heat, add shallots, carrots, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. (May need to add water or a little chicken broth if vegetables stick.)
7) Add tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, honey and seasonings. Cook for 10 minutes.
8) Return chicken to pan and cover. Simmer on medium-low heat, for 30 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in center. In the last few minutes of cooking, sprinkle with Mozzarella cheese, cover skillet until cheese is melted, then serve hot. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Analysis per serving: 404 Calories; 26 percent fat (11.7 grams); 4.4 grams saturated fat; 41 percent protein; 33 percent carbohydrate; 4.4 grams fiber.