Healthy isn’t always easy, but it doesn’t have to be hard. There are a few things that can make it easier; finding an activity you love, having people to do activity with, and at the very least reach out and find others that enjoy the same things. No matter the activity, there are others out there that are having the same struggles and are on a similar journey. From internet communities to meet-up groups or even creating your own group of friends and family, there are many ways to find motivation on your health journey. They often say there is strength in numbers and this is definitely an occasion where that applies.
Although the journey to health may be something that happens within yourself, you don’t have to go at it alone. Here are a few steps to getting out there and finding the support you need. Be it activity, diet, or even health condition… you have a community waiting for you.
Find an activity that you enjoy such as walking, hiking, or sports.
Be specific when looking for your community. Example: stroller wielding mom, weekend warrior hikers, health at any size, or tennis for newbs.
Think about what you have to offer to the group. I am a weekend hiker and am willing to do it in any sort of weather. I also don’t mind last minute invites. Those two things alone could set you aside and find you the perfect community match.
Here are few ways to find a community that works for you.
- If you search social media you will quickly find hundreds of fitness groups from competition level with a routine in place for those just starting out.
- Many fitness devices like Fitbit, Garmin, Jawbone, or Apple products have built in communities on their apps.
- Search for meetups in your area on message boards.
- Don’t be afraid to try new things. You may like walking, but maybe try hiking. You may be a tennis fan, but try badminton. You may hate all of the above and just need to find a group to get excited about movement with.
- Dietary styles, allergies, and even health conditions are an easy way to find a group. You will all have at least one thing in common and surely there ways you can help each other. There are tons of us wheat sensitive, dairy intolerant, PCOS inflicted individuals that have found a meal, special exercise, or even new and exciting supplement that works to make your days easier.
Share a little, learn a lot, grow every day.