This salad is great with a loaf of Crusty French Bread, and is high in B vitamins, vitamin C, magnesium, and trace minerals like copper, iron, manganese, and zinc. Whew! You probably feel better just making this salad!
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon sugar
1 pound farfalle (bow-tie pasta)
1 (6-ounce) bag pre-washed baby spinach, chopped
12 cherry tomatoes cut into quarters
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 small cucumber, peeled, sliced one inch thick, then diced
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
3 tablespoons chopped olives
2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
1/4 cup Feta cheese, crumbled
1) Combine all vinaigrette ingredients, mix well, and set aside.
2) Cook pasta in a large pot according to directions on package, drain, and return pasta to pot.
3) Add spinach, tomatoes, onion, cucumber, parsley, olives, and capers. Mix to blend.
4) Pour red wine vinaigrette over pasta, stir gently.
5) Transfer pasta salad into a large pasta bowl. Sprinkle with Feta cheese. Cover and chill at least one hour or overnight. (You might need to drizzle with a little olive oil and red wine vinegar, if chilled overnight, since pasta will absorb vinaigrette.) Makes 8 servings, approximately 1 cup each.
Nutritional Analysis per serving: 326 Calories; 28 percent fat (10 grams); 2 grams saturated fat; 12 percent protein; 60 percent carbohydrate; 6 grams fiber.