A light and healthy lunch option using low-fat yogurt and fresh mint.
1/2 pound ground lamb
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1 apple, peeled, seeded, and diced
3 tablespoons fresh mint, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 whole wheat pita breads, sliced in half
1/4 cup plain, nonfat yogurt
2 teaspoons honey
1) In a non-stick skillet, over medium-high heat, cook lamb for 5 minutes, or until no longer pink, stirring frequently to break into small pieces. Drain lamb and place in a large bowl. Set aside.
2) In same skillet, add onion and saute until translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add apple and saute for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Place in bowl with lamb.
3) Add remaining ingredients, except pita bread, to lamb mixture. Mix well.
4) In a small bowl, mix yogurt and honey. Set aside.
5) Spoon lamb mixture into pita pockets. Dollop with honey yogurt dressing. Makes 6 pocket sandwiches.
Nutritional Analysis per pocket sandwich: 196 Calories; 37 percent fat (8 grams); 3 grams saturated fat; 23 percent protein; 40 percent carbohydrate; 2.4 grams fiber.