If you have been put on any one of the medications commonly referred to as Statins, don’t worry dooms day has not set in. Statin medications have well the documented beneficial effect of lowering LDL cholesterol. Let’s take a look at the benefits and drawbacks of statins.
Statins are a class of drugs that work by blocking the production of cholesterol by inhibiting the enzyme called HMG-Co A reductase. This same enzyme is also used in the biosynthesis of Coenzyme Q (CoQ10). Our bodies need CoQ10 to produce Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP), the energy currency in our bodies. This is why supplementation with CoQ10 while taking a statin is important.
Statins also carry with them an increased risk for developing type II diabetes. (1) For this reason supplementing with Chromium Picolinate can be beneficial as it has shown to reduce fasting blood glucose levels and lower your HbA1c. (2)
Don’t rely on the statins alone to reduce your risk of a cardiovascular event. Take charge of your health and consider making these four lifestyle changes:
- Half of every meal should consist of fruits and vegetables.
- Only 10% of your daily calorie intake should come from added sugar. (3)
- Get a minimum of 75 minutes per week of vigorous aerobic activity, that is only 11 minutes per day. If you are just starting out, set a smaller goal and work your way up!
- Consistently take supplements to offset the drawbacks of statins
- Commissioner, O. O. (n.d.). Consumer Updates – Controlling Cholesterol with Statins. Retrieved June 02, 2017, from https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm293330.htm
- Sharma S, Agrawal RP, Choudhary M, et al. Beneficial effect of chromium supplementation on glucose, HbA1C and lipid variables in individuals with newly onset type-2 diabetes. J Trace Elem Med Biol 2011;25:149-53.
- 2015–2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 June 2017.
If you are looking for the highest quality Vitamin and Mineral Supplements personalized for you, please go to www.personanutrition.com and take their on-line questionnaire providing individualized vitamin and mineral recommendations. Persona is the only Science Based supplement provider on the web today! Take advantage of their knowledge and use it to your health’s benefit!
This information is not intended as a substitute for the advice provided by your physician or other healthcare professional or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging. Do not use the information from this article for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disease, or prescribing medication or other treatment. Always speak with your physician or other healthcare professional before taking any medication or nutritional, herbal or homeopathic supplement, or using any treatment for a health problem. If you have or suspect that you have a medical problem, contact your health care provider promptly. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking professional advice because of something you have read in this article.