Garlic Balsamic Vinaigrette:
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or basil
1 medium eggplant, sliced into 1/2-inch thick slices
2 medium portabello mushrooms, cleaned with stems removed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup roasted peppers (commercial jar of roasted peppers), rinsed, pat dry, sliced into thick strips
1/2 cup arugula salad greens
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1 9-inch purchased focaccia bread round (rosemary-onion works well)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cover a large, flat baking pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
1) In a small bowl, whisk together all vinaigrette ingredients. Set aside.
2) Arrange eggplant slices and whole mushrooms in a single layer on baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drizzle about 1 tablespoon vinaigrette over eggplant and mushrooms. (Save the remaining vinaigrette for later). Place vegetables in oven. Roast for 15 minutes, or until golden brown and tender. Remove from oven. Set aside.
3) Meanwhile, place remaining ingredients in bowls (roasted peppers, arugula, and feta cheese).
4) Remove portabello mushrooms from baking sheet, slice into 1/2-inch strips. Set aside.
5) Slice focaccia in half horizontally. Place one layer of eggplant on bottom half. Add several sliced mushrooms, drizzle with about 1 teaspoon vinaigrette. Top with a sprinkle of feta cheese and arugula. Continue layering process until all ingredients are used. Cover with top half of focaccia. Press down firmly. Place back on foiled baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, or until bread is golden brown and crispy. Remove from oven. Slice into four quarters and serve hot. Makes 4 sandwiches.
Nutritional Analysis per sandwich: 329 Calories; 26 percent fat (9.5 grams); 3.5 grams saturated fat; 14 percent protein; 60 percent carbohydrate; 9 grams fiber.