Kidneys are located in the middle of the backside of the body. They clean all of the blood in the body with an intricate filtration system, the waste goes out as urine. The filters are very small vessels and can be damaged by high blood glucose, high blood pressure and chronic use of over the counter anti-inflammatory medication. (1)
Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is on the rise and can be explained by an increase in diabetes and hypertension, this is because they are the leading cause of CKD. (2) The best thing you can to protect your kidneys is to manage blood pressure and blood sugar like a champion!
Reduce blood pressure with the DASH diet, (dietary approaches to stop hypertension). A study of the DASH diet saw a decrease in blood pressure in as little as 8 weeks. (3) Start with these two dietary changes: reduce the amount of sodium in your diet to 2,300 milligrams and increase the amount of potassium containing fruits and vegetables you eat to 4-5 servings per day.
You can integrate a DASH diet easily with the Idaho plate method which provides a great guide for how to set up a meal balanced in all food groups that can help you manage blood glucose. ½ of your meal should consist of vegetables, ¼ of your meal should be whole grains, ¼ of your meal should be meat/protein and ½ cup of fruit and 1 cup of milk. (4)(5)
It is possible to protect the longevity your kidneys and prevent unwarranted damage with these two methods to approach hypertension and managing blood glucose. Don’t delay, get started today.
- How to Protect Your Kidneys. (n.d.). Retrieved June 15, 2017, from http://www.pskc.net/for-patients/about-kidney-disease/how-to-protect-your-kidneys/
- Coresh J, Selvin E, Stevens LA, Manzi J, Kusek JW, Eggers P, Van Lente F, Levey AS. Prevalence of Chronic Kidney Disease in the United States. JAMA. 2007;298(17):2038-2047. doi:10.1001/jama.298.17.2038
- Appel LJ, Moore TJ, Boarzanek E, et al. A clinical trial of the effects of dietary patterns on blood pressure. N Engl J Med 1997;336:1117-24.
- (n.d.). Retrieved June 06, 2017, from http://platemethod.com/index.html
- Association, A. D. (2014, January 01). Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes-2014. Retrieved June 06, 2017, from http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/37/Supplement_1/S14
If you are looking for the highest quality Vitamin and Mineral Supplements personalized for you, please go to www.personanutrition.com and take their on-line questionnaire providing individualized vitamin and mineral recommendations. Persona is the only Science Based supplement provider on the web today! Take advantage of their knowledge and use it to your health’s benefit!
This information is not intended as a substitute for the advice provided by your physician or other healthcare professional or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging. Do not use the information from this article for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disease, or prescribing medication or other treatment. Always speak with your physician or other healthcare professional before taking any medication or nutritional, herbal or homeopathic supplement, or using any treatment for a health problem. If you have or suspect that you have a medical problem, contact your health care provider promptly. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking professional advice because of something you have read in this article.