If you aren’t yet familiar with hemp extract, you are likely to hear about it from the media in the near future. Unlike the psychoactive compound also found in Cannabis called THC, hemp extract does not cause a “high” or impair cognitive function. The origin of hemp extract’s mainstream popularity is likely traced back to Charlotte Figi, a young child experiencing hundreds of seizures per month by the age of three. Charlotte’s parents treated their daughter with hemp extract oil and found a dramatic improvement in her health.1 As more scientific research emerged, hemp extract became a popular remedy for not only epilepsy, but pain, mood, and sleep disorders.
Today, hemp extract is becoming a widely accepted remedy for many ailments and the Food and Drug Administration is working to properly introduce hemp extract into the food, drink, and supplement market.2
Curious about how hemp extract might benefit you? Here are 3 reasons you should consider giving it a try.
1) You are chronically fatigued or stressed
We all experience fatigue from time to time due to lack of sleep, everyday stress, and health conditions. However, when fatigue transitions from acute to chronic, long-term wear and tear on our bodies can be detrimental to our well-being.
When the body is constantly under pressure, it is easy to feel tired and drained all of the time. This is referred to by some practitioners as adrenal fatigue, a type of malfunction between the hypothalamus, pituitary, and adrenal cortex system in the body. Interestingly, our bodies contain cannabinoid receptors that are also involved in the regulation of this system. Dr Meletis, Clinical Educator for the company TruGen3 states, “…the endocannabinoid systems are also involved centrally in the manifestation of stress.”3 When the endocannabinoid system is depleted, replenishing the body with hemp extract can promote healing and encourage normal stress hormone regulation.
2) You have aches and pains that won’t go away
Many studies recently have shown that hemp extract plays a large role in pain regulation. As mentioned, our bodies contain an endocannabinoid system which can regulate pain. In fact, we have receptors called CB1 and CB2 that modulate pain in the body. Both the CB1 and CB2 receptors can be found all over the body and are tied to both physical pain, emotional pain, and inflammation.4 Research shows that the use of hemp extract can improve multiple types of pain ranging from skeletal (joints) to gut (IBS).3
A recent study published in 2018 found that the majority of hemp extract users are supplementing with hemp extract to treat chronic pain and arthritis. Other reported uses included migraines, headaches, and multiple sclerosis. Of these users, the majority felt that hemp extract worked “very” or “moderately” well by itself for the treatment of pain.5
3) Sleep is a struggle
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 35% of all American’s get less than 7 hours of sleep per night.6 While research is still being conducted, a handful of studies have shown promising results with improvements in sleep.7 Dr. Maroon, a professor and neurosurgeon at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center suggests that hemp extract appears to ease anxiety and pain, which can contribute to sleep complications. Maroon states that hemp extract can be used as an “alternative natural method to help calm anxious thoughts that often delay or interrupt natural sleep” and emphasizes that hemp extract is a safe, non-habit forming option for sleep support.8
How to find a high-quality CBD supplement
Not all hemp extract supplements are the same. In fact, the market is saturated with different options. Look for a multi-spectrum, phytocannabinoid rich hemp oil that has been processed without harsh solvents. In addition, if you want to avoid THC, be sure to select a tested brand that has no detectable THC content.
Persona Nutrition offers high-quality hemp extract extracted from pure hemp oil. Persona’s hemp extract is specially formulated with VESIsorb® colloidal delivery to ensure optimal absorption. In addition, Persona’s hemp extract is extracted with CO2 and is tested to ensure this product is THC-free.
Ready to try hemp extract ? You can take our personalized vitamin assessment to see if it’s right for you based on your health, lifestyle, and prescription medications. If you already know hemp extract is what you need, try our convenient Hemp Support Essential pre-packs.
1) Noonan D. Marijuana Treatment Reduces Severe Epileptic Seizures. Scientific American. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/marijuana-treatment-reduces-severe-epileptic-seizures/?redirect=1. Published May 25, 2017. Accessed June 4, 2019.
2) Amid ‘mass confusion’ on popular CBD products’ legal status, feds hold hearing. USA Today. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2019/05/31/cbd-legal-fda-holds-hearing-fans-sellers-await-legal-clarity/1301537001/. Published May 31, 2019. Accessed June 4, 2019.
3) Vach, R. and Meletis, C. (2019). Harnessing the Innate Power of CBD in Clinical Practice for Pain and Beyond: recording and transcript.
4) Barrie N, Manolios N. The endocannabinoid system in pain and inflammation: Its relevance to rheumatic disease. Eur J Rheumatol. 2017;4(3):210–218. doi:10.5152/eurjrheum.2017.17025
5) Corroon J, Phillips JA. A Cross-Sectional Study of Cannabidiol Users. Cannabis Cannabinoid Res. 2018;3(1):152–161. Published 2018 Jul 1. doi:10.1089/can.2018.0006
6) Data and Statistics. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/sleep/data_statistics.html. Reviewed May 2, 2017. Accessed June 4, 2019.
7) Shannon S, Lewis N, Lee H, Hughes S. Cannabidiol in Anxiety and Sleep: A Large Case Series. Perm J. ;23:18–041. doi:10.7812/TPP/18-041
8) Maroon J. Can CBD Improve Sleep See Consumer Reports Article. Dr. Maroon. http://www.josephmaroon.com/blog/can-cbd-improve-sleep/. Published February 13, 2019. Accessed June 4, 2019.
This information is not intended as a substitute for the advice provided by your physician or other healthcare professional or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging. Do not use the information from this article for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disease, or prescribing medication or other treatment. Always speak with your physician or other healthcare professional before taking any medication or nutritional, herbal or homeopathic supplement, or using any treatment for a health problem. If you have or suspect that you have a medical problem, contact your health care provider promptly. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking professional advice because of something you have read in this article.