3 supplements that Will Boost your Memory and Improve your Brain Power.
Can’t quite remember where you set your keys? Do you wish you could read an article and be able to recall the smallest of details? If you want to enhance your memory and improve your mental capabilities, these 5 supplements are a must:
Acetyl-L-Carnitine: Carnitine is a substance in your body made up of two amino acids, that turns fat into energy. It guards your brain against toxins and allows for your synapses to wire quickly and correctly. In one study, patients with Alzheimer’s disease showed remarkable progress in just 6 months. They showed improvements in relation to remembering names, recall ability and less memory deterioration overall (1). It helps to protect your brain against the effects of ageing and will help you to remember all those pesky details that seem to slip the mind (2).
Pycnogenol: Yes, it’s a bit of a tongue twister. But this pine bark extract will bring fresh oxygen infused blood to the forefront of your brain, so that you can really get those juices flowing. Not only does it improve overall cognition and mental performance, but it can help increase your attention span. In one study kids with ADHD in just 4 weeks showed improvement in attention (3). In another study with students, they improved both attention and test result scores (4).
Bacopa monmieri: Bacopa is an Areveydic herb named after the Hindu God of Creation. Its healing properties change the way your brains neurons communicate and form memories (5). It’s an apoptogenic herb that can reduce your stress. Reduced stress improves memory retention and formation. Both functions help information stick.
Don’t forget! If you remember anything from this article, remember to take you’re APB’s: Acetyl-L-Carnitine, Pycnogenol and Bacopa monmieri for a better memory.
- Rai G, et al Double-blind, placebo controlled study of acetyl-l-carnitine in patients with Alzheimer’s dementia . Curr Med Res Opin. (1990)
- “Delaying the mitochondrial decay of aging with acetylcarnitine.” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences.S. National Library of Medicine, n.d. Web. 17 Feb. 2017.
- Trebatická J, et al Treatment of ADHD with French maritime pine bark extract, Pycnogenol . Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. (2006)
- Luzzi R, et al Pycnogenol® supplementation improves cognitive function, attention and mental performance in students . Panminerva Med. (2011)
- Enhanced dendritic arborization of hippocampal CA3 neurons by Bacopa monniera extract treatment in adult rats. Retrieved February 17, 2017, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21892534