Summer is a great time to really kick things into gear when it comes to fitness. The weather has finally shifted, and sunshine with the fresh air is on your side to keep you motivated. Even if you have found yourself sitting on the couch, lounging around and eating junk food, I’m here to tell you it is not too late; you still have weeks to repair the damage. It’s time to start now, no procrastinating!
I have detailed below some simple and fun ideas to stay in shape during the summer months.
· Paddle boarding – This is a great workout that will keep you cool! You can burn 305-430 calories leisurely paddling for about an hour.1 It’s not only an excellent core workout, but also for the legs, back, shoulders, and arms.
· Kayaking – This is a fun workout, and you can grab a buddy to join. It’s especially great for targeting the shoulders, back, and chest. It can also help with grip since you will be holding onto the paddle firmly.
· Water aerobics – Working out in the water means that your body is forced to work harder. Also, if you have any orthopedic issues, this is extremely easy on the joints.
· Head to the gym – I know the summer is the most difficult time to go to the gym. Look at it as enjoying a nice, cool air-conditioned place for a little bit. It’s even better if the gym has an option to be inside or outside, that way you can get the benefits of working out but still able to soak up some vitamin D.
· Summer activities – You can sneak in a bit of exercise with some summer-friendly activities. For instance, washing the car and gardening can burn about 100 calories every 30 minutes. Throwing a frisbee, walking the dog, or playing a game of volleyball can also be a great way to get the heart rate going.
With these suggested summer workouts, make sure you’re enjoying the summer weather safely. It’s a good idea to invest in some moisture-wicking clothes, which will help pull the moisture away from your skin so your body can stay cool. Also, if you need to break up your workouts and slow the pace, that is fine as well. Just make sure you are staying hydrated! Persona Nutrition offers fitness supplements. Some of my favorites are the BCCAs, which support lean mass and decrease muscle fatigue. Also, MSM can decrease muscle soreness and supports a healthy inflammatory response. Astaxanthin is great for the cardiovascular system and joint health.
Don’t hesitate to take our assessment for personalized vitamin regimen based on your health and lifestyle. Persona is the only Science-Based supplement provider on the web today. You can also check out the Fitness Formula available in our Essential Packs!
1. Cox A. SUP Fitness: How many calories does paddle boarding burn? Sup Connect. Published January 1, 2019. Accessed May 7, 2019.