Do you want shiny, healthy, beautiful hair? Who doesn’t! Polls have shown that a bad hair day can often negatively affect a person’s mood and self-esteem. But no need to get all tangled up in negativity! These 7 easy beauty tips will make you proud to show off your beautiful healthy hair and in turn give you a boost in self-confidence. Here’s to no more bad hair days!
1. Cut down on heat styling. Time spent with your hair dryer or straightening iron over time is wreaking havoc on your ambitions for beautiful hair. Extreme heat essentially cooks your hair and can make strands turn dry and brittle. If you must use a heat styling tool, make sure to use the lowest setting possible and add a heat protective spray to buffer any damage from the hot tool.
2. Don’t pluck your gray hairs! As tempting as it may be, plucking can damage the hair follicle and the strand may never grow back. As you age and your hair naturally thins out, you’ll need every strand of hair you can get! Gray hair is perfectly good hair – it just lacks pigment.
3. Massage your scalp. Massaging the scalp stimulates hair growth and feels great. The massage will increase blood flow to your scalp, resulting in better mood and better circulation. For best results, practice daily one minute massages if you’re trying to grow out your strands!
4. Try a natural hair mask. You already know that avocado makes a fabulous nourishing body scrub, but did you know that you can also use avocado to nurture those thirsty hair strands! Blend ½ an avocado and 1 egg yolk in a blender and apply to hair, working from the ends up to the scalp. Wrap hair in a shower cap and wait 15-20 minutes. Rinse out in the shower and shampoo and condition as usual. Your hair will be beautiful, soft, and bouncy!
5. Nourish from within. A balanced diet with lots of water is important for healthy hair. Dehydration can lead to dry and frizzy hair strands, as can a low-fat diet. Remember good dietary fats are essential for nourishing the body. Omega 3 fatty acids such as salmon and walnuts are great choices to incorporate into your regular meal routine. Dietary proteins and iron are also required for hair growth and strength. Eating foods high in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants also have a positive effect on hair.
6. Add supplements as needed. Since no one eats perfectly all the time, taking a good multivitamin is wise to fill any gaps that may be in our diet. Specific nutrients needed for beautiful hair include Vitamin D, Zinc, and B-Complex. Vitamin D is important for hair follicle cycling and appropriate levels appear to reduce hair loss. Zinc is also important for healthy hair. Insufficient zinc levels may result in hair loss, thin and dull hair, or premature graying. B-Complex vitamins support beautiful hair. Biotin, niacin and cobalamin are among the most popular B-complex vitamins that help restore shine and thickness to strands.
7. If possible, avoid using hair color. Hair color damages the hair significantly even when done correctly. The dyeing strips the hair of natural oils, turning strands weak and brittle. If you really want to change your hair color, it is best to go to a professional to minimize hair damage or experiment with natural herbal dyes which are not damaging to delicate hair strands.