Do you ever feel like you’re just going through the motions? You wake up, go to work, commute home, eat dinner, and go to bed. You might be up to your neck in excel sheets, your calendar is booked with meetings and projects for the next two months and you can’t remember the last time you made a home cooked meal. I think all of us have been there at some point in our lives. With only being a week into 2019, this year should be all about self-care. It’s time to take yourself off the back burner.
It’s time to implement Oxford Dictionary’s definition of self-care, which is; The practice of taking action to preserve or improve one’s own health.1 I would love to help guide you through this with a few easy ideas for “you time”.
- Write in a journal: “Me time” is usually last on the to-do-list, but it’s always a good idea to write down activities or ideas that make you feel happy or accomplished. LoveIsRespect.org recommends journaling as one of the most popular self-care activities because it can be extremely therapeutic.2 They have a couple ideas where you can go “old school” and grab a spiral notebook and a pencil, invest in a fancy leather-bound sketchbook with a key, or search online for a password protected journal, so only you can have access to it.
- Set a time to workout: Whether it’s before you head off to work, during your lunch break or after work, any type of activity will do. This might consist of jogging, hiking, dancing, yoga, rock climbing, whatever makes your soul happy. It’s important to get the blood pumping and muscles moving. Working out triggers endorphins to be released giving you that “feel good” factor. Plus, no one has ever regretted a workout they completed.
- Go to the movie theatre: Who doesn’t love getting lost in a story plot? Are you more of a comedy lover, or does a does a mystery excite you? Either way, go with friends, family, or even by yourself. For a few hours you won’t be thinking about your stresses. Instead you will feel re-energized and ready to tackle the rest of the day.
- Take an art class: Let’s get the right-side brain energized. There’s nothing like getting your hands dirty in a pottery class or learning how paint or draw. Plus, this is a great way to meet new friends.
I hope one of these suggested ideas will get you excited for some “ you time”. You and I both know it’s never too late to jump on the self-care bandwagon. It’s time to start today.
1) Self-Care. Oxford Dictionary. https://www.oxforddictionaries.com/. Accessed Dec 30, 2018.
2) What is Self-Care? Love is Respect. https://www.loveisrespect.org/for-yourself/self-care/ Accessed Dec 30,2018.