[Mood Tip: Beans are an excellent source of iron, supplying 3.6 milligrams for every cup. A deficiency of this mineral contributes to shortened attention span, lowered IQ and intelligence, lack of motivation, poor hand-eye coordination, lowered scores on vocabulary tests, inability to concentrate, and poor work performance. ]
This hearty black bean recipe is a personal favorite at our house! It’s quick, easy, not too saucy or messy, which adds versatility to creative recipe ideas. The smokey hot flavors from the chipotle peppers pair up perfectly with the sweet smooth taste of the onions. Serve over soft polenta, with any of the tossed salads, try any of the following black bean recipe ideas, or make up your own!*
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large sweet yellow onion, chopped
1 medium green or red bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 4-ounce can diced green chiles
1 teaspoon canned chipotle pepper, rinsed, seeded, and minced (from a 7-ounce can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
3 teaspoons canned chipotle adobo sauce, save rest of can for another use
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced Mexican stewed tomatoes
2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Optional – 1/3 cup fat-free sour cream
1) Heat olive oil in a heavy large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions, pepper, and garlic. Saute 5 minutes or until soft.
2) Add all remaining ingredients except cilantro and sour cream.
3) Simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes, then add cilantro.
4) Serve in a large bowl. Top with sour cream, if desired. Makes 10 servings.
5) Serve with rice or warm tortillas. Store leftover black beans in your freezer, or make a double batch for the following recipes:
* Black Bean Chili with Chicken.
* Black Bean Burritos.
* Black Bean Dip with Pita Wedges.
Makes 10 one-half cup servings.
Nutritional Analysis per serving: 142 Calories; 19 percent fat (3 grams); < 0.5 gram saturated fat; 18 percent protein; 63 percent carbohydrate; 6.2 grams fiber.