Serve over Comfort Food Mashed Potatoes, noodles, or biscuits.
1 pound skinned, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
salt and pepper
1/4 cup fat-free chicken broth
3/4 cup fat-free half & half
5 tablespoons sherry
3 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup baby carrots, thinly sliced
1 pound mushrooms, washed, stemmed, and sliced
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2/3 cup green peas
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1) Season chicken with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2) In a small bowl, mix broth, half & half, and sherry. Set aside.
3) Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add carrots and stir for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to medium bowl.
4) In the same skillet, add 1 teaspoon olive oil and chicken. Cook until underside of chicken is golden brown, then toss and continue to stir occasionally until almost cooked, about 8 minutes total. Add chicken to bowl of mushrooms and carrots.
5) Add last teaspoon of olive oil and onion to same skillet and cook until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
6) Add cream mixture and stir, including any browned bits from pan into sauce. Add peas, thyme, cornstarch mixture and let sauce simmer for 5 minutes. Sauce should be slightly thickened.
7) Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in chicken and mushroom/carrots. Season with salt and pepper. Heat through, but do not boil. Remove from heat and sprinkle with parsley. Serve over mashed potatoes, noodles, or biscuits. Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Analysis per serving: 190 Calories; 30 percent fat (6.3 grams); 2.7 grams saturated fat; 45 percent protein; 25 percent carbohydrate; 2.4 grams fiber.