Low-fat and nutrient-packed with all the flavor of the traditional comfort food, this chicken pot pie is a one-dish meal or can be served with a tossed salad. It also makes great left-overs later in the week.
1 cup low-fat biscuit mix
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons nonfat milk
1 cup celery, diced (approximately 3 1/2 stalks)
1/2 cup onions, diced
2 cups carrots, peeled and diced (approximately 3 carrots)
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 1/2 cups fat-free chicken broth
1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast
1 medium potato, peeled and diced
5 teaspoons cornstarch
1 cup fat-free half & half
1 cup frozen green peas
1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cooking spray a 9″X9″ baking dish.
1) In a medium bowl, mix biscuit mix and wheat germ. Add milk and blend thoroughly. Set aside.
2) In a large, nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray, cook celery, onions, carrots, and garlic over medium heat until onion is translucent, approximately 4 minutes.
3) Add 3 cups of the broth and chicken. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook uncovered until chicken is barely done, turning chicken once, approximately 8 minutes a side. Remove chicken and set aside.
4) Add potatoes to broth and cook uncovered until tender, approximately 10 minutes.
5) Blend cornstarch with remaining 1 /2 cup chicken broth and half & half. Add to chicken broth and potato mixture, bring to boil, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. (If mixture is too thick, add a tablespoon or two of chicken broth.) Remove pan from stove.
6) Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and add to pan. Mix in peas, parsley, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
7) Pour mixture into baking dish, top evenly with biscuit mixture. Bake until golden brown and juices bubble, approximately 35 minutes. Makes 6 generous servings.
Nutritional Analysis per serving: 318 Calories; 13 percent fat (4.5 grams); 1 gram saturated fat; 45 percent protein; 42 percent carbohydrate; 4.3 grams fiber.