Precooked-ready to eat rolled polenta makes this appetizer easy to prepare. Serve as an hors d’oeuvre or as a light lunch along with a tossed salad. The caponata can be made two days in advanced and stored in the refrigerator.
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium eggplant, unpeeled and diced
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (14.5-ounce) can Italian tomatoes, chopped
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons capers, drained
1 package (18-ounce) precooked-ready to eat rolled polenta (basil-garlic flavored preferred)
Heat grill to medium-high or use a stove top skillet to grill.
1) Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add eggplant, onion, pepper, and garlic. Saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
2) Add remaining ingredients, except for polenta. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and cool. Set aside.
3) Slice precooked polenta into 12 slices. Spray both sides of polenta with a small amount of cooking spray.
4) Place polenta rounds on grill or stove top skillet. Cook until brown on each side, about 1 to 2 minutes per side.
5) Place warm polenta rounds on a serving tray, spoon Caponata on each slice, and serve. Makes 12 appetizers.
Nutritional Analysis per appetizer: 123 Calories; 30 percent fat (4.1 grams); 1.7 grams saturated fat; 12 percent protein; 58 percent carbohydrate; 2.8 grams fiber.