Spicy, but with a hint of sweetness, the brie in this appetizer adds a creamy mellow finish. The peach chutney gives it a final kick.
1 (8-ounce) loaf of baguette-style French bread
3/4 pound (at least 20) medium-sized shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 (4.5-ounce) round of brie cheese, cut into 20 small squares
1/3 cup peach chutney
1 tablespoon canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely minced
1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from same can of chipotle peppers)
2 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Soak skewers in cold water for 30 minutes prior to grilling.
1) Cut French bread into 20 1 /2-inch thick slices. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake for about 4 minutes per side, or until crisp and light brown on both sides. Remove from oven. Set aside on a plate.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients for the marinade.
3) Add clean, dry shrimp to marinade and toss to coat. (You can cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours at this stage.)
4) Remove shrimp from marinade. Arrange in a single layer on a flat baking sheet. Bake for 3 to 4 minutes, or until shrimp is just opaque. (Don’t over cook.) Keep warm.
5) Top each slice of crostini with a piece of brie cheese and spread with a knife. Top with 1 to 2 cooked shrimp. Place on a large baking sheet. Bake until brie has melted, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from oven, dollop each crostini with peach chutney. Arrange on a platter and serve hot. Makes about 20 appetizers.
Nutritional Analysis per appetizer: 87 Calories; 25 percent fat (2.4 grams); 1.2 grams saturated fat; 27 percent protein; 48 percent carbohydrate; 0.5 gram fiber.