Benefits and Effects of Boswellia
Could a daily dose of Boswellia help you? If you’re wondering what Boswellia is, you’ve come to the right place. Boswellia is an extract, also known as Indian frankincense. It comes from a tree called Boswellia serrata that is native to the dry region of India. Boswellia’s gummy resin has shown to have anti-inflammatory properties and provides many health benefits. For centuries, Boswellia has been used to treat all kinds conditions from asthma to ulcerative colitis. Here just a few of the benefits, along with some other things to keep in mind when taking Boswellia.
Joint Pain – Studies have shown Boswellia to reduce inflammation and pain in those with osteoarthritis (OA) and rheumatoid arthritis (RA) (1). Research has also shown it to improve mobility and physical function (1). In one study, Boswellia helped to reduce morning stiffness and patients were able to reduce the amount of NSAID medication needed (2).
Respiratory Health – Research has shown Boswellia to help improve respiratory symptoms associated with asthma, such as shortness of breath and wheezing (3). Boswellia may provide immune-supportive properties and decrease lung inflammation (3). Boswellia may help to prevent vasoconstriction and reduce the number of asthma attacks (4).
Gut Health – Some research has shown Boswellia to help reduce symptoms in those with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis (5)(6). In a six-week trial, Boswellia significantly reduced chronic diarrhea in patients (6). Boswellia may help to reduce inflammation in the gut, but findings have been inconsistent, and more research is still needed.
Boswellia Side Effects
There are some possible side effects of Boswellia, which include nausea, diarrhea, acid reflux, or skin rash. Boswellia may stimulate blood flow, therefore may increase menstrual flow or risk of miscarriage in pregnant women. Consult your doctor if taking blood thinners or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
Is a Boswellia Supplement Right for You?
If you are looking for a high-quality Boswellia supplement, Persona can help. You can take our free 5-minute assessment to get personalized vitamin recommendations based on your unique needs and see if Boswellia can help you reach your health goals. Ready to start your custom supplement regimen? Get Recommendations
- Grover AK, Samson SE. Benefits of antioxidant supplements for knee osteoarthritis: rationale and reality. Nutr J. 2016;15:1.
- Etzel R. Special extract of BOSWELLIA serrata (H 15) in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Phytomedicine. 1996;3(1):91-4.
- Yugandhar P, Rao KM, Sengupta K. A novel herbal composition containing extracts of Boswellia serrata gum resin and Aegle marmelos fruit alleviates symptoms of asthma in a placebo controlled double-blind clinical study. Phytother Res. 2018;32(1):140-150.
- Al-Jawad FH, Al-Razzuqi RA, Hashim HM, Al-Bayati NJ. Glycyrrhiza glabra versus Boswellia carterii in chronic bronchial asthma: A comparative study of efficacy. Indian J Allergy Asthma Immunol 2012;26:6-8
- Gerhardt H, Seifert F, Buvari P, Vogelsang H, Repges R. [Therapy of active Crohn disease with Boswellia serrata extract H 15]. Z Gastroenterol. 2001;39(1):11-7.
- Madisch A, Miehlke S, Eichele O, et al. Boswellia serrata extract for the treatment of collagenous colitis. A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, multicenter trial. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2007;22(12):1445-51.