With the holidays, we find ourselves traveling and spending time with family and of course, sharing delicious meals. One of my favorite things about Thanksgiving is having some of the same foods every year, sharing what we’re grateful for and making memories with my family. What I don’t love as much is feeling super heavy after so I like to make healthier options and everyone enjoys them and feels great!
Give these a try at your family gathering and let us know how you like them!
If you’re feeling a bit bogged down by lots of carbs this holiday season, try swapping traditional mashed potatoes for this tasty roasted garlic mashed cauliflower recipe. All the flavor and lots of fiber!
1 head of cauliflower
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
3 garlic gloves
¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Drizzle garlic cloves with 1 tablespoon olive oil, wrap in foil and place in oven. Roast garlic until cloves are softened, about 45 minutes.
- Chop cauliflower into florets and toss with olive oil, salt & pepper. Spread on baking sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes until soft.
- Remove garlic cloves from skin by squeezing upwards, place in food processor with roasted cauliflower, cheese, and butter. Process until smooth and season to taste with salt and pepper, serve immediately.
As nutritionists we like always encourage people to get more veggies, this dish is a great way to add a few more into your big feast and hit your daily dose!
Veggie Grain Salad
1 butternut squash – peeled and cubed
2 cups brussels sprouts
1 cup farro
2 cups kale
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 cup whole pecans
1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 425. Halve brussels sprouts and cut off ends, combine with butternut squash and toss with olive oil and salt and pepper and spread across baking sheet roast for about 20-25 minutes, stirring once.
- Bring water to a boil and add farro, cook for about 10 minutes or until al dente.
- Combine farro, kale, roasted veggies, pecans and cranberries, toss with maple syrup serve immediately.
This mocktail is a great option with less sugar than those made with soda, but all the flavor from sparkling water to keep you feeling festive and fresh!
Healthy Holiday Mocktail
1 orange, sliced
1 cup of fresh cranberries
2 cups cranberry juice
2 cups pomegranate juice
2 cups orange flavored sparkling water
- Combine all ingredients in a pitcher, and add ice, enjoy!