If you are like me, you are at your wits end with the endless amounts of garbage you generate and fed up with paying for it. For many years we have watched our environment decline and our waste products increase, all the while knowing there is something desperately out of balance. We can do something and what we can do is not radical, difficult or time intensive. What we can do is actually easy, saves us time, money and the earth resources. Maybe you have heard these tips before, but I am going to throw them at you and let you make up your mind if you are going to make a change, end your frustration, save money and take charge this time around.
- Buy a reusable coffee thermos and keep it with you always… Stop paying full price for coffee and stop using all of those paper cups! If you have a thermos on hand, your coffee will cost less and you will generate zero garbage.
- Buy a reusable water bottle. Again, this generates zero garbage and saves you money. If you think this is untrue, start tracking your bottled water expenses….you will see this is a must-do.
- Buy glass containers for food storage. They do not degrade, they do not leech chemicals into your food and they last. Plastic containers do none of the above!
- Take Vitamins, eat clean. This additional health insurance saves you and the planet more resources than you can imagine! Invest here, the payoff is amazing later.
- Re-use your plastic grocery bags. Put them in your trunk, double them up and use them until they are shredded! Don’t buy plastic bags….re-use what you are given.
- Keep re-usable grocery totes in your trunk. Yep, your plastic bags will run out and you do not need more. Make it a habit of using your totes for all of your purchases.
- Make your own beauty products. It is easy to do a bit of research and learn how to make your own facial products, moisturizers, and body scrubs.
- Make your own cleaning products. Again, this requires little time and effort to research ways to clean smart. You will save money, your home will be chemical free and you will produce zero waste.