There are so many different supplements out there on the market. Many people often want to pursue a healthier lifestyle and try supplements, but it can be confusing and overwhelming to figure out which ones to take, what brand to use, and if they are safe.
Dietary supplements are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). So unlike drugs, they aren’t required to meet the same strict standards. Also, supplements are not permitted to be marketed for the purpose of treating, diagnosing, preventing, or curing diseases. That means supplements should not make disease claims, such as “lowers high cholesterol” or “treats heart disease.”
There are good, high-quality products out there, but there are also many not-so-good ones. Here’s some information to help you make decisions when buying supplements.
Are supplements safe?
Taking dietary supplements can be beneficial to your health, but there are also some risks involved. Here’s some information to consider about safety:
- Since dietary supplements are not FDA approved, products on the market are not regulated, therefore don’t have to be tested for effectiveness, purity, and dosage amounts. Doses may not match the amounts on the label or meet the listed health claims.
- Many supplements are not considered safe for pregnant or breastfeeding women. Prenatal vitamins, along with a few other supplements, are helpful in getting the nutrients needed for pregnancy, but please consult your doctor before taking any new supplements.
- There can be interactions between supplements and medications, with other supplements, or not advisable for a certain medical condition, so please check for interactions with your health care provider or nutritionist before starting supplements.
- Some supplements should be stopped if you are having surgery because they cause more bleeding.
- Some supplements can be harmful in high doses.
Do I need supplements?
Let’s make it clear that getting nutrients from food is always best. But sometimes we need a little help. Supplements can often be useful for filling the gaps in your diet. They can be beneficial for decreasing inflammation and providing antioxidant protection, as well as a remedy for nutrient deficiencies. They can also help with stress, sleep, exercise recovery, balancing hormones, and many other health-related concerns.
It is recommended to get blood work done if you suspect you have a nutrient deficiency. If you can make a change in your diet, that is ideal, and then consider taking a supplement if necessary.
What should I look for when buying supplements?
Dietary supplements can be safe and effective. Here’s what to look for in a quality supplement:
- Third party testing – There are organizations that will test supplements to make sure you’re getting a quality product. They test the identity, strength, and purity to make sure the product is free of contaminants and that you are getting what’s on the label. Check labels to make sure the supplement you purchase is “third party tested.”
- Buy from a trustworthy source – Choose brands that have a good reputation and have done the work to test and certify their products. Check for consumer ratings about the company and product to see that they have a positive track record of satisfaction.
Why can I trust Persona supplements?
Persona is the highest quality of vitamin and mineral supplements personalized for you, and here’s why:
Science-Based Research – Persona recommendations are based on the most current, published, peer-reviewed scientific research. Our committee of physicians, nutritionists, and health care specialists critically review all data for the development of our recommendations. We do the research work for you, so you don’t have to.
Manufacturer Guidelines – All Persona vitamins and supplements adhere to cGMP (Current Good Manufacturing Practices), which assures the identity, strength, quality, and purity of products by requiring that manufacturers to adequately control manufacturing operations. Manufactures must also provide a Certificate of Analysis (CoA) for each product, which specifies the product ingredients, results of dosage testing for ingredients, and product expiration date.
Drug Nutrient Interaction Database – Persona’s assessment checks for interactions with your medications so you can have peace of mind.
Ready to see what might be the best fit for you?
Ready to find the best, high-quality supplements for your specific needs? We have options for you. Check out www.personanutrition.com and take our online assessment providing individualized Vitamin and Mineral recommendations. If you already know what you need or just want to see popular options, try our convenient Essential pre-packs. Persona is the only Science-Based supplement provider on the web today! Take advantage of our knowledge and use it to your health’s benefit and know that you are receiving the most personalized recommendations for your needs!