With a simple google search, you can find TONS of ketogenic supplements on the market, but are they backed up by science? Are they safe? Do you even need them? While any diet that eliminates food groups can cause deficiencies, the keto diet done right is high in healthy fats, dark leafy greens, and has a moderate amount of healthy protein foods.
Here is Persona Nutrition’s Keto Supplement guide, created by Nutritionists, made up of the best supplements you actually need when following even the healthiest ketogenic diet.
- Digestive enzymes- the right digestive enzyme blend can help to break down the high amount of fat in a keto diet. A supplement with pancreatic enzymes can lead to improved digestion and less uncomfortable symptoms commonly experienced like bloating, gas, and constipation.
- Multivitamin that has B-Vitamins– while you can still get some B-vitamins from nuts, fatty fish, and veggies, whole grains have a higher source and are not part of a keto diet. A multivitamin with B-vitamins creates reassurance that you are getting these along with other important nutrients.
- Omega 3’s- from fish or krill oil contains essential fatty acids EPA and DHA, which have been shown to assist in lowering triglycerides, overall inflammation and to maintain a healthy ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6’s.
- Magnesium– important for immunity, nerve/muscle function, and heart health and is found more in higher carb foods like beans, potatoes, and bananas, so it’s easy to become deficient with a keto diet. Getting enough magnesium has been shown to improve sleep, stress, and muscle cramps.
- Probiotics– Making changes to any diet can cause gut imbalances in the body. Probiotics are necessary for maintaining overall gut health, which can lead to better nutrient/fat absorption, immunity and a healthy metabolism.
- Vitamin D– deficiency is common and needed for calcium absorption, overall immunity, and helping to lower inflammation. If you don’t get a lot of sun, it is probably necessary to take as a supplement.
Don’t see these supplements in your recommendations? Reach out to one of our nutritionists.
If you are looking for the highest quality Vitamin and Mineral Supplements personalized for you, please go to www.personanutrition.com and take their on-line questionnaire providing individualized vitamin and mineral recommendations. Persona is the only Science Based supplement provider on the web today! Take advantage of their knowledge and use it to your health’s benefit!
This information is not intended as a substitute for the advice provided by your physician or other healthcare professional or any information contained on or in any product label or packaging. Do not use the information from this article for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disease, or prescribing medication or other treatment. Always speak with your physician or other healthcare professional before taking any medication or nutritional, herbal or homeopathic supplement, or using any treatment for a health problem. If you have or suspect that you have a medical problem, contact your health care provider promptly. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking professional advice because of something you have read in this article.