Playing sports is always a good time but getting and staying in tip-top shape is no game. It takes hard work, a balanced diet, and a lot of physical activity. But there’s something else that may help you reach optimal performance. The right supplements can help the body create energy, increase strength, and can even assist in exercise recovery (3). CoQ10 is just one supplement that can do all this and has also been shown to support cardiovascular health, which is important no matter what kind of athlete you are. But that’s not the only supplement that can help you perform.
Supplements for workout recovery
As soon as your exercise is done, it’s time to get ready for your next workout. That means helping your body recover by reducing inflammation. A recovery meal packed with healthy carbs and quality protein is the best first step for recovery. There are also some supplements that can help your body recover too.
- MSM, or methylsulfonylmethane: This organic sulfur compound can help to promote a healthy inflammatory response, reduce exercise related muscle soreness, and is necessary for building connective tissue. In one study, MSM improved symptoms of pain and improved physical function (5).
- Boswellia: Research has shown Boswellia to be effective for relieving pain and swelling. It also helps to promote healthy tissue and joints by supporting a healthy inflammatory response and immune system (6).
- Ashwagandha: Exercise is great for the body, but it can also put stress on the body. The herb Ashwagandha may help manage the body’s stress response and can help promote increases in muscle mass, strength and enhanced muscle recovery (7).
Supplements for injury prevention
When it comes to injuries, prevention is key. A few ways we can help to prevent injuries is by focusing on flexibility, strength, and bone health. The good news is that there are a variety of supplements that can help in these areas.
- UC-II or Collagen: UC-II consists of Type II Collagen, a protein that has anti-inflammatory properties and has been shown to promote joint health. It also has been determined to help support pain-free strenuous exertion and alleviate the joint pain that can come from these activities (4).
- Branch chain amino acids: This group of essential amino acids works to help the body build lean mass while reducing the breakdown of muscles post exercise. Studies have also shown this supplement to help reduce muscle fatigue (1,2).
- Calcium / magnesium with vitamin D: Together, these key nutrients can improve overall bone health. Calcium is critical for bone health while magnesium has been shows to help with muscle relaxation, reducing inflammation, and maintaining blood pressure and glucose levels. Vitamin D has been shown to help assist with calcium absorption for bone growth and helps the body maintain a healthy inflammatory response.
Supplements for injury recovery
When we do get injured, we want to get back in the game as soon as possible. That means decreasing inflammation to help our bodies recover. Choosing supplements to keep inflammation in check while promoting joint mobility and reducing muscle soreness can help us recover and get us back on track quicker.
- Omega-3 with BioCurc®: Omega-3s and turmeric are two of the best anti-inflammatory supplements. Our supplement combines the anti-inflammatory properties of omega-3 fatty acids which have been shown to reduce inflammatory markers, with the active compound of BioCurc®, a form of curcumin (found naturally in turmeric), that has been shown to be 400 times more absorbable than unformulated 95% curcumin.
- Metabolism support: This supplement offers a unique blend of enzymes that can help with recovery. These enzymes have been shown to improve joint function, support sports recovery, fibrin metabolism and promote muscle, joint and tissue Health.
Combining aerobic exercise, strengthening, and flexibility along with good nutrition is the best way to reach peak performance and avoid injury.